Saturday, June 03, 2006

How to Smoke Large Rabbits

Q: All of the rabbit recipes that I can find are for 2-3 lb. rabbits. Around here 4-H and others raise the New Zealand White meat rabbits.Do you have any suggestions for smoking or grilling these 6-8 lb. culinary delights ?

A: I don't know a lot about smoking rabbits other than the fact that they tend to be very lean which must be compensated for in the smoker.

I am speaking from what I know and not from my vast experience in smoking large rabbits however, if it was me, I would clean the rabbit up just like any other meat and maybe soak it for a day or two in a good game marinade or even one that is meant for poultry would also work well.

When you are ready to smoke the rabbit, get a large package of fatty bacon and drape bacon all over the rabbit holding it on with toothpicks where needed. The bacon will render during cooking and will keep the meat basted so it won't dry out.

I would guess about 4 to 6 hours in the smoker but that is a wild guess based on similar hunks of meat.

I recommend that you do some experimentation and see what works best in the smoker and even on the grill. I would be very interested to know how it turns out if you get the chance to shoot me an email about it.

Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home