Monday, May 29, 2006

Should Smoked Meat be Burnt

Q: My neighbor is always bringing over briskets and chicken and sausages that he has smoked in his smoker. The meats look like something that was leftover from a housefire. The meats are pure black. All I can think of is: Carcinogens. I'm afraid to eat it or let my family eat it. Please help me to know if I should refuse his offer of smoked meats or is I should leave all caution to the wind and eat and enjoy. I am somewhat as a "healthnut" so my husband says. But, I did get diarrhea and vomiting after Memorial Day cook out of smoked chicken and beef brisquet and sausage. I only ate the white of the chicken, but I am so leary of the carcinogens. Please educate me.

A: I have to agree with you.. if it is crusty black then it it not what I would consider edible. True smoking normally leaves the outside of the meat quite dark but it should not be crusty black or look like it came out of a house fire as you say.

You have several options in my opinion..

You can politely refuse or you can take it and then try to eat the inside of the meat that is not so black.

If it is chicken then you can simply not eat the skin, if it is brisket then you can trim off the outside.. I will tell you that brisket, pork shoulder, and other meats that require 12 to 20 hours or more to smoke will end up quite dark and may even look black and that is quite normal but it will not be burnt.

Many people like their meat burnt and that is their business but you are under no obligation to like it, eat it or allow your family to ingest it.

I have always felt like the best policy is honesty.. If it was me, I would talk to him and tell him the truth and maybe he will try to get the meat that he is going to give to you a little less burnt. He may just be assuming that you like it the same way he does.


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home