Thursday, May 25, 2006

How to Find Apple Smoking Wood

Q: I live in [town close to me] and have a fairly large smoker with fire box. Where do I find apple firewood around here? I'm not looking for chunks, I'm looking for logs.

Thanks

A: Howdy neighbour! Glad to get maill from someone really close by.. believe it or not that does not happen too often.

On to your question..

It can be quite difficult finding these different woods to smoke with.... I have been able to find it in the past through folks that I knew that cut/sell wood for a living and they would find wood for me and I would pay them premium fees for it.

Some other ideas are:

  • Run an ad in the paper letting folks know that you are looking for certain kinds of wood for smoking and will cut down the tree, haul it off and clean up the mess in the yard for free.

  • Put up an ad on the bulletin board at your local Walmart and even drive over and put one in the Sapulpa Walmart or the Tulsa Walmarts letting folks know what you are looking for and be sure to post your phone number.

  • You might also look up some grill and fireplace stores in your area or in the Tulsa area and ask them if they have access to it and how to go about getting some.

  • Sometimes the local feedstores, where all the farmers hang out can give you some great tips on finding different types of wood and may even be able to direct you straight to someone who has it for sell or even for free if you haul it off.

  • A good time to be on your toes is after one of our Oklahoma wind storms that knocks a lot of trees and limbs down. I got quite a bit of wood from that straight-line wind storm a few years back that knocked so many trees down here in Sapulpa.

Just some ideas that I have seen work in the past.. you just have to get a little creative sometimes.

I also use a big trailer mounted wood smoker most of the time and I like to use something besides oak once in a while. I make runs down to Texas to get mesquite occasionally or send someone but it is hard to beat apple and is well worth premium prices if you are fortunate enough to find it.

Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home