Friday, May 19, 2006

Digital Meat Thermometer Tips

Q: 1. Where and when are you placing your thermometers in the brisket? 2. Since you are mopping, are you removing and replacing your probe each time? 3. is there a problem with the smoker door cutting the probe cable? Any other thermometer tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

A: 1. I like to place my thermometer probe in the brisket at the very beginning.. this allows the meat to seal around the probe and keeps me from losing juice thru the puncture later. I wrote a newsletter about this a few months back.. lots of folks poke the thermometer in after the meat gets hot and when the probe goes in, the juices come running out and you are in for a dry brisket (or whatever else you are cooking).

Where is not so important as long as the tip of the probe is in the center of the thickest part of the meat.. I usually hold the probe horizontally over the meat and make a mark on the probe with my finger where center is located. I then push it in (from the side) to where my finger is.

2. I just mop the brisket all over with no regard to the probe being there.. the probe is not touched at all during the entire smoke/cook time.

3. I have never had a problem with the smoker door cutting into the cable.. most smoker doors do not shut that tight and I suppose if it was a problem you could always thread the cable up and through another hole either by making one for that purpose or using something already available.

More Tips:

Do not let the metal probe touch any other metal.. it will short itself out and be unusable unless you get really lucky.

If I am using a meat thermometer to test the temperature inside the smoker, I just stick the probe through a small potato to hold it where I want it.

Occasionally boil some water on the stove and place the tip of the probe down in the boiling water to make sure it is reading 212 degrees. If you are at a high altitude it may be slightly different than 212 degrees and I do not know the conversion formula right now. Chances are if this is a problem for you then you already know about it.

If you can afford one of the nicer remote thermometers then by all means go for it.. there is nothing better than being able to watch the game and still know when the meat is done without having to run outside every few minutes.


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home