Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Easy Recipe for Electric Smoker

Q: I just bought an electric smoker, and im determined to learn how to use it. Im surprised by the lack of resources on the web about it, and I just bought your CD, so one way or another, I'm going to learn how to make the foods I'm dreaming about in my head.

Heres my question - where is a good place to start? Last night I attempted my first beef jerky batch, and failed miserably. My temperature was good, but I started too late in the evening and cut the meat to thick, so it didnt work.

So whats an easy and good recipe to start cooking on a smoker?

A: I don't use an electric smoker enough to tell you much about it from that perspective and the main reason that drives that is the lack of temperature controls. Most that I have seen are pretty much plug it in and go which should be fine but I for one like to play with controls and I like to play with fire (no, I am not an arsonist).

To answer your question..

As long as your electric smoker can maintain a fairly consistent temperature close to 225 degrees then you should be able to follow most any recipe on this website and follow it to the letter as far as prepping the meat, smoke times, mopping requirements, etc.

The easiest thing to start out with in my opinion is pulled pork.. it is made from the pork butt (also called boston butt) one of the halves when a pork shoulder is cut in half and usually contains a bone.. the other half is called the picnic which is not as good for pulled pork in my opinion but can still be used in a pinch.

This recipe is definitely the easiest and most forgiving and melts in your mouth but it can be quite a long smoke.. with an electric smoker that should not be a real problem.

You will need a digital probe meat thermometer for best results which can be found at amazon.com or you can see them on the website at http://www.smoking-meat.com/barbecue-supplies.html

I have this complete recipe laid out in detail at the website if you want to check it out there.. the link is below:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/nov-2005-more-turkey-tips-and-recipes.html

Here is another good link as well:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/pork-shoulder-recipe.html



Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

1 Comments:

Blogger jade said...

but I started too late in the evening and cut the meat to thick, so it didnt work. thebestgrillsever.com/best-electric-smokers-under-400

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home