Thursday, May 18, 2006

How to Smoke Pork Loin Properly

Q: I have experimented with smoking pork loins since I started. I have onlytried it a few times. I have a small Brinkmann charcoal smoker. I used Cherry wood to smoke the pork. Am I on the right track with this, and do you have any tips for smoking pork loin? The last one I did turned out pretty good. Nice and tender and good smoke flavor, but some of it dried out on me. Could this have been caused by pushing the meat thermometer into the side rather the the top of the meat?

A: The location of the thermometer does not really matter as long as the tip of the probe is in the center of the meat.. the thickest point, and is not touching a bone

Pork loin does not usually have the fat content of a lot of other cuts of pork and sometimes it is wise to make a few compensations for this.

I like to rub it real good with Jeff's Naked Rib Rub the night before I am going to smoke it and sometimes I wrap it in plastic while other times I just put it in a tight sealing bowl in the fridge overnight.

I like to place some real fatty strips of bacon around the pork loin and even attach them with toothpicks sometimes. This naturally bastes the meat and keeps it from drying out during the smoking process.

Also, be sure to only cook it to around 150-155 for best results.


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cook at 150-155 for how long? I am new to smoking, but I realy enjoy it.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cook at 225 until the meat reaches 150-155 (2-3 hrs?).

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You want your meat temperature to be 150-155. Remember, it's not about the amount of time you smoke...it is about the temp of the meat. I have never smoked a loin, although I am going to this weekend. When I smoke, I generally watch the meat. When it gets that nice bark on the outside, then I wrap it in aluminum foil and smoke for a few more hours. I smoked a boston butt last weekend. I smoked it with a temperature of 250 degrees for 10 hours. 6 hours unwrapped, 3 hours wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped. When I was done, I pulled out the bone.

email me at d.boady@insightbb.com. I am not a professional, but I have been smoking meat for 9 months and have learned many tricks. Most of which I have learned from online discussions and trial and error.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He means to cook it until a probe thermometer registers 150-155 when the tip is in the center of the thickest part of the loin.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I have been smoking summer sausage for years. The only problem, however is that the casing always comes out wrinkled, even though I use a water pan. How can I smoke this and have the casing come out wrinkled free?

4:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cook until meat reaches that temp range. Cook at 225-250 degrees indirect.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cook until center of meat reaches that temp range. Cook at 225-250 indirect.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think he meant 150-155 internal temp. not cooking temp

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you cook it until its within that margin.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home