Saturday, May 27, 2006

Tips for Smoking Venison

Q: Jeff I have some venison that someone just gave me looks like some roast, any tips on smoking this so it won't dry out . The last time that I smoked some venison it looked like hockey pucks when it was done I know being game meat that it's very lean so it will dry out quickly any ideas. or would I be better off to grill it over some charcoal.

A: I don't get too many opportunities to smoke venison and from what I know about venison, it is leaner than most other smoking meats. Having said that, I know a few tricks to helping lean meats turn out moist and I will try to share a few of those and perhaps it will help.

You need to make sure and marinate it with a good marinade and for that I recommend doing a search on Google.com for "venison marinade"

Prepare the venison as you would any beef roast, such as cutting slits in the meat and inserting garlic cloves, rubbing it with a good all purpose meat rub (not too heavy).

The meat will need to be basted often as it smokes to keep the outside from drying out.. you can do this manually with a basting brush and some marinade, beer, apple juice, butter, etc. or you can drape lots of fatty bacon over the meat (you can hold it on with toothpicks) and as the fat from the bacon melts it will keep the meat basted throughout the smoke.

Be sure and don't overcook the venison.. remove it from the smoker about 5 degrees before it reaches it's target temperature (about 145 for a venison roast) and it will continue to increase in temperature for 10 minutes or so bringing it on up to where it supposes to be.


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i smoke venison oftin and we always dry rub it with sum salt & peper thin rap bacon around the hole thing (raw)(dont worry the smoke gits through)thin what we do is take a square pan and place it below ower meet in the smoker cus we have a horisontil one if you have racks i would poot it the rack right below and thin the steem gos right up and keeps nice and moist i love it turns out great all the time in owers so try it seee if you like it i know my famly and my hole block dos ahaha

hope you like it

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home