Friday, June 02, 2006

Purchasing a New Smoker

Q: I am an avid smoker. I saw this smoker at Sam's Club that is airtight, has 4 grill racks, a water pan, 2 wood pans and is gas heated. I love it and it cost around $650, which is a lot but could be well worth it. I experiment a lot, but the water smoker I have tends to be difficult every step of the way. Your thoughts?

A: It really depends on how much smoking you plan to do.. I started out on an old Brinkmann that I found at a garage sale and it worked for a while but I quickly realized that I wanted something better and because of my love for the art and the fact that I used it so often, I was willing to invest in a really nice unit.

It sounds like you are looking at a vertical upright smoker which tends to do a really good job of smoking meat. It being gas will make it very easy to maintain temperature and you will get excellent flavor.

I prefer real wood and fire myself but I do own a gas smoker that I use occasionally and I am able to match the same great taste that I get from my charcoal/wood smokers.

I usually recommend that newbies start out using real fire (charcoal/wood) smokers but it sounds like you quite competent at the art and if you are looking for something easy to tend to that will produce great smoky flavor then Gas may be the way to go.

Before you buy any unit, type in the model number or name of the smoker plus the word "review" in google.com and see if you can find anyone recommending or not recommending the unit and what their reasoning is.

Another option is to go to Amazon.com and find the unit using their search feature. Once you find it scroll down to the bottom of the page to read reviews from folks who have purchased the unit.

Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home