Saturday, April 22, 2006

How to Apply Rub to Meat

Q: Hi Jeff! I have become a smoking-meat addict since discovering your site! The family thinks I'm a hero! What a great site. Easy to navigate and lots of helpful guidance.
Heres my question...
I finally got to purchase your naked rib rub recipe, and I cant wait to use it! I'm a little unclear on the instructions, however...
You indicate on the site that you "massage" with your dry rub; however, on the recipe you specifically instruct to just cover completely with the rub and let it set for 10 minutes, or until it achieves that wet look.
So I just want to clarify... Do you actually RUB the rub in? or do you just let it set?
Thanks for clearing this up!

A: Thank you for ordering, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good the rub and sauce really are... in answer to your question:

In reality it partly depends on what I am using it on. On ribs I generally just sprinkle it on real good and let it sit until it gets that wet look since ribs are flat for the most part and I tend to trim them St Louis style meaning I remove the brisket bone (that bone that sometimes runs perpendicular to the ribs on the top edge) and the skirt or flap which is that meaty "flap" looking piece that runs the length of the ribs.

This trimming removes all of the crevices and therefore the rub gets to where it needs to be very easily with no additional "rubbing" needed.

However.. take a pork butt for instance and you will notice that it is just full of nooks and crannies and folds of meat so I actually massage the rub in and make sure to get it in all of those places real good.

Mustard can be applied to the meat to help the rub stick a little better. (it loses its flavor during the cooking and just leaves a nice crust)

I know folks who believe that actually massaging the rub into the meat makes a difference but I have not seen this in my own cooking.. the main thing is to make sure it is making contact with all of the neccessary surfaces and that is all that is required.


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home