Thursday, April 20, 2006

Taylor Probe Meat Thermometer

Q: Hi Jeff, I'm a newbie smoker just getting started. With the thermometer you use, how do you run the cord outside to the unit? You just let the door close on it? And do you leave the probes in the meat for the entire time you're smoking? Thanks for the help!

A: As most of you know, I use the Taylor probe thermometers for almost all of my outdoor cooking. These type of thermometers come with a 3 foot flat braided cord attached to a 6 inch metal probe.

This allows you to monitor the cooking temperature of the meat all the while it is smoking/cooking without having to constantly open the door and let out precious heat.

To answer this question..

Yes.. I place the probe of the thermometer into the thickest part of whatever meat I happen to be smoking and allow the door of the smoker to close on it. It is very flat and has never been a problem for me.

The end of the wire is then plugged into the monitor which sits on a little table right next to my smoker so I can watch the temperature and know the perfect time to pull it from the smoker.

I leave it in the meat the entire time it cooks.. from start to finish.

It is very important that you place the probe into the meat at the beginning of the cook.. if you wait until the meat starts cooking to insert the probe, you will lose valuable juices when you puncture the meat.

One word of caution.. do not let the end of the metal probe touch any metal while it is plugged into the monitor or the probe will be fried and you will have to order a new one from the company for $5 plus shipping.

I usually get the probe situated into the meat and routed out through the door before plugging it into the monitor to aleviate this problem.

Click here if you are interested in ordering a Taylor thermometer from Amazon. They ran right around $16 the last time I checked.



Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home