Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Fishy Flavored Smoker

Q: Will smoking fish in your smoker make it a fish only smoker ? I'm worried that when I go to smoke meat it will end up with a fishy taste. What should I do ?

A: Well.. I have to say that I have never experienced this in my smoking. I tend to smoke everything from salmon to chicken to briskets and pork shoulders and I have never noticed a fish flavor in any of my other meats or, on the contrary, any beef or pork flavors in my fish.

I think for the most part a smoker will pick up the smells of the smoke and that will be the dominant smell/flavor.

Now.. I would say that if you are up north and all you ever smoke is salmon, trout, etc. and then one day decide to smoke a chicken, I guess it is slightly possible that you could detect a hint of fish but that is not going to be the norm by any means.

Now if anyone has experienced this feel free to correct me or let me know but my answer is no.. not a problem under most circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home