Sunday, October 22, 2006

Smoking Ribs on a Gas Grill

Q: Before I get to my email...You have the BEST BBQ sites!!! Very informative!!!!

I know this is an old email, but I am planning on smokin' some spare ribs on Monday and have a question from this email response you sent me. I don't have a coffee can, but my wife has a bunch of empty cans, about the same size as a Pork and Beans can. Would these work? How many would I need? How full would I fill them with wood chips? Do the chips need to soak prior to adding them to my "smoke cans"?

Also, by using a gas grill, how do I monitor the amount of smoke being applied to the ribs...My grill has two 1" holes on each side, plus in the back it has 6 vents that are about 4 1/2 " wide. Is this enough vent space for smoke to escape or is it too much?

I can't wait for Monday!!! It will be my first attempt with your rub & sauce recipes!!!!!!

A: I think a smaller can would work just fine.. just fill one all the way up with dry chips and place a piece of foil on top of the can with a few holes poked in it to let the smoke escape.

As far as the vents.. that sounds like a lot of vent space for the grill.. I would only allow about 4 square inches of vent and that should be plenty. Besides the lid is probably not airtight and will let the smoke escape as well.

This may mean you will need to plug 2 or 3 of the vents so that you are left with minimal venting.

This is more important in a gas grill simply because there is much less danger of creosote and the smoke will have a lighter impact.

Keep replenishing the cans for about the first 3 or 4 hours of the smoke time.. when the smoke stops, quickly insert another one.

Try to maintain 225 degrees as much as possible and allow at least 7 hours from start to finish.. if they happen to get done sooner then simply wrap in foil and place in a warm oven for up to 2 hours.

You might also look into purposely getting done a few hours early and foiling the ribs and placing them in a warm oven for an hour or two to allow them to tenderize before serving.

Visit Smoking-Meat.com and WYNTK.us for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

Jeff's Naked Rib Rub and BBQ Sauce Recipes.. a religious experience! Make everyone think you're a pro (even if you're not!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home