Friday, August 18, 2006

Smoker Getting Too Hot

Q: My last email may have been lost somewhere. I need your advice on
two points: 1.) My GMS is showing

over 300 degrees while smoking, and I am trying to get the 225 you
recommended. How can I keep it

under that 3000 mark? 2.) My baby back ribs and country ribs were
too hard and dry.

Thanks for any advice.

A: I apologize for the delay in answering.. I have been swamped with email the last month or so. I think it is so hot outside that everyone is inside on the computer instead of out smoking meat.

To answer your question...

There are several things you need to do.. first off you should double check your thermometer just to make absolutely sure that it is reading correctly.

Then you should make sure that your burner is operating correctly.. get the flame to burning and then watch the flames as you go from high down to low in a gradual descent and you should notice a big difference in the size of the flames.

This is just to ensure that the burner is operating correctly.

A few things to do to temporarily help the smoker to stay cooler is to replenish the pan with ice cold water. You may also be able to prop the door open a little to ward off some of the un-needed heat that is causing your smoker to get too hot.

In all honesty.. I own one of these smokers and while it has no trouble maintaining 225 degrees even in the winter time, it still will cook at low temps if I put it on low.

I am almost wondering if the propane is not being regulated correctly.. I am not a propane expert by any means but I have to wonder if you have tried a different propane bottle or you may need to call the company and see if they would be willing to send you a replacement burner or regulator.

Another option.. if the flame does not get low enough on the "LOW" setting then try turning down the propane bottle to allow less gas into the burner. Somehow you have to get the flame small enough to maintain 225 without getting up into the 300 degree range.

Make sure to use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the meat.. even if it is cooked too hot, it should still get tender just as if you grilled it or baked it in the oven and the higher temperatures.

You might also look into the 3-2-1 method which is great for turning out super moist and tender ribs. I have written a page on this method as you can see below. The baby backs would actually be more of a 2-2-1 method which you will understand fully upon reading the information I have provided below.

http://www.wyntk.us/food/3-2-1-rib-method.shtml


Visit Smoking-Meat.com and WYNTK.us for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

Jeff's Naked Rib Rub and BBQ Sauce Recipes.. a religious experience! Make everyone think you're a pro (even if you're not!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am having trouble with keeping my smoker at 225. Unfortunately, I fear that living in AZ during July is not conducive to smoking meat. It's 112 degrees outside right now and, even at my lowest setting, the propane water smoker I have won't stay down at 225. Am I wrong to assume it's the heat, especially since I don't have this problem the rest of the year?

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home