Friday, July 28, 2006

Smoking Nuts - Almonds, Etc.

Q: I would like your insite on smoking nuts. Should they be cold smoked or can I just do them on my treagur on the smoke setting? what do you think?

A: Nuts are great off the smoker and really easy to smoke... they are done both ways but I prefer to do them pretty hot.

Toss the nuts in melted butter to coat or you can also spray with Pam or other butter flavored cooking spray. Place on a cookie sheet or other flat surfaces, shallow pan. Sprinkle with a fine table salt and any other spices you would like. I like to use a little cajun seasoning on my almonds but that is just what I like.

I would smoke them at 275 to 300 degrees for about 30-40 minutes and let them completely cool so they will be crunchy. I don't know what temperature the treager maintains on the smoke setting.. you can do them there but it may take a little longer if it maintains 225 degrees or so. If it has a higher setting then you may want to use that.

Peanuts,pecans and walnuts also do well.

Visit Smoking-Meat.com and WYNTK.us for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

Jeff's Naked Rib Rub and BBQ Sauce Recipes.. a religious experience! Make everyone think you're a pro (even if you're not!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sladel68 said...

I smoke almonds on me Traeger BBQ0075 on the smoke setting. Usually about 4 hrs per batch. Make up a good marinade you like and coat evenly. I use a vacuum marinader and tumble them for about 45 minutes. After smoking I transfer to the oven for a more uniform finish tossed with a little olive oil, just enough to lightly coat. Low heat. Could easily use Traeger to finish, I just like the oven for more even control.
Have fun and try new things.
Sladel68

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home