Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Smoking Multiple Pork Butts

Q: I have a weber charcoal smoker. I plan on smoking 8 pork butts avg 7-8 lbs/ea. What do you recommend for temp and time to be able to serve as pulled pork. What type of rub do you recommend.

A: For that many butts, I think you will probably be looking at 14-15 hours possibly just a little more. You can usually figure on 1.5 hours per pound but with that many it adds a lot of "cold" to the smoker and will add some additional time to the process.

You will need to try and maintain 225 degrees and smoke them to about 200 degrees for best results.

I like to wrap them in foil at about the 145 degree mark and once they reach 200-205 degrees, I take them out and place them in a cooler for a couple of hours to allow them to tenderize even further. When you take them out using this method, they will usually fall apart with very little or no pulling required.

As far as a rub, I always use my special rub recipe which I have available below.. rub down the butt with regular yellow mustard and then apply the rub very generously making sure to get it into every nook and cranny of the butt. It is best to do this the night before you smoke the butt if possible but it is still good even if you put it on right before smoking.

Unbelievable flavor!

I have not used any of the commercially available rubs.. just about anything that is good on ribs would be pretty good on the pork butt.

I have a Smoking Time and Temperature table available at the following url:

http://www.wyntk.us/food/smoking-times-and-temperatures.shtml


Visit Smoking-Meat.com and WYNTK.us for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

Jeff's Naked Rib Rub and BBQ Sauce Recipes.. a religious experience! Make everyone think you're a pro (even if you're not!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home