Saturday, June 24, 2006

Two Methods for Tenderizing Ribs

Q: I have great outdoors smoker with propane, and what I usually do is season the ribs the night before. I smoke the ribs with hickory and apple chips,and I smoke them for about 2-3 hours and then on low for 2 hours. The problem im having is that the meat does not come that tender, what could I do to make ribs more tender ! And what kind of wood would be the best to use. thank you


A: There are several methods that will yield extremely tender ribs.. one of the methods that I prefer is to wrap them in foil for a couple of hours immediately after they reach 170 degrees in the smoker.

I wrote about this at one of my websites.. here is an excerpt from http://www.wyntk.us/food/smoking-ribs.shtml that explains my post-foil method for ribs:

..The ribs are done at 170 degrees. To further tenderize the ribs, quickly place the ribs in foil after removing from smoker. Splash on some apple juice just before closing them up. Wrap the foiled ribs in a thick towel and place in a tight cooler for up to 2 hours...

The other method is called the 3-2-1 method and will yield ribs that are literally falling off of the bone.. I have written about this method as well at the following link:

http://www.wyntk.us/food/3-2-1-rib-method.shtml

As far as what wood to use.. my favorite wood for ribs is mesquite but hickory and apple are both very good as well and should produce great flavor.

Try to maintain about 225 degrees the entire time for best results and expect the ribs to stay in the smoker for at least 6.5 hours. Be sure to calibrate your themometer in boiling water to make sure it is reading 212 degrees at the boiling point.

I highly recommend using a digital probe meat thermometer for monitoring the temperature of the ribs since it is impossible to accurately and consistently measure temperature of meat by simply looking at the meat or by feeling of it.

I have written a how to guide for the Propane GOSM.. doesn't sound like you need any help with the basic operation of the smoker but it is available if you are interested at the link below:

propane-gosm-smoker-instructional-guide.pdf


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

Jeff's Naked Rib Rub and BBQ Sauce Recipes.. a religious experience! Make everyone think you're a pro (even if you're not!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ribs in An Hour said...

I buy Tenda Rub. It Smokes ribs in an hour. It tenderizes ribs in an hour on the grill. It flavors ribs at the same time with no marinating. I don't know what does the actual rib tenderizing. One bottle does 4 racks. You get the smoke, the ribs are tender and juice, have a crispy surface, tastes great and are very smoky. The rub is at ribsinanhour.com or howtotenderizeribs.com

9:20 PM  
Anonymous tenderbone said...

I forgot, It's called Smoke Tenda Rub and does 3 or more racks fof only $6.99 a jar. This rub is so good that it has a patent pending on it.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home