Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Smoking a Chuck Roast

Q: I am now marinating a chuck roast..when I bought it I assumed that you could smoke it...but I dont see any roast recipes. Is it ok to smoke?

A: You can in fact smoke any type of meat with very few exceptions however some meats do better than others due to their fat content. Meats that are less desirable in the kitchen are usually the best in the smoker. This is true for ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, etc.

A chuck roast is not going to have the fat content condusive to a juicy piece of meat and so you may have to do some things to help it. I would lay strips of fatty bacon across the top of the chuck roast as it smokes. I would also use a mop every 30 minutes or so to also help keep it moist.

It should turn out pretty tasty in the end if you are careful.. I have listed some time and temps below for doneness:

140°F Rare
160°F Medium
170°F Well

The marinading should go a long ways to helping it as well.


Visit Smoking-Meat.com for hundreds of great tutorials and guides on smoking meat.

The Technorati Tag for this post is

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck roast comes out good on the smoker, and it has plenty of fat. None of the ones that I have done have been dry.

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home